Saturday, July 26, 2014

fun summer shorts!

I actually made these a few weeks ago and have just gotten around to photographing them. Aren't they cute?! Inspired by Oonapalooza I decided to work on the things in my "to-sew" queue that involved a fun, bright print, and so it bumped these fun shorts up to the top of the list! You know how sometimes you have so many sewing projects swirling around in your head that you can't pick and none of them get made? A project like Oonapalozza is great for those times as it gives you some criteria to help you get over that what-to-sew-next hump! I'm so glad, too, because they are really comfortable to wear, and just plan fun.


I used a PDF pattern by GreenStyle Creations called the Taylor Shorts, and some fun, bottom-weight fabric from the Joann's clearance rack with just a tiny bit of stretch. The pattern was purchased through a Bundle Up Sale hosted by Pattern Revolution. It was very easy to print and tape together, and the whole thing took an afternoon to make from pattern-printing to wearing!


I made a size 4 with the 2" inseam with no pattern alterations.... and they fit! Even in the butt! The only thing I would change next time is to take out probably an inch and a half from the front rise, but for this pair it's no big deal.

I ALMOST had the pattern matched perfectly!

The fly instructions seemed very clear... until I realized I had sewn everything only to one side of the opening... so they wouldn't close. I started to wing it at that point and ended up sewing the whole thing to both sides... so then it couldn't open! Third time I got it, and overall with very little unpicking. I used a couple of flap trouser hooks-and-eyes and a recycled zipper taken from the ankle opening of a pair of pants I shortened.

Overall, a great pattern that I would totally recommend to anyone wanting shorts! It comes in three inseams with nice pockets, and the instructions are great! (as I suspect if I had paid more attention the fly instructions would have worked out perfectly the first time...)






11 comments:

  1. Very cute! I've never heard of this pattern before you mentioned it, but they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either until I stumbled upon the Bundle Up Sale. The patterns are really well drafted. Since then I've downloaded the boxer-brief pattern for Mr. Sew Rachel. We'll see how they go!

      Delete
  2. Oh, cute! They look like the kind of thing you'd feel happy in every time you pulled them on. Nice work! It's really far too early here to be sewing for summer, but projects like these are making me a bit impatient to get started... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way seeing your cozy sweaters! But actually... I just downloaded a pattern to try to knit... because at my rate if I want tit for winter i need to start now!

      Delete
  3. These look great. I love the print, more fun to team with plain t's and vests than a solid colour. Off to look at these patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying them! I'm so glad I found this pattern!

      Delete
  4. these are freaking adorable. that print is so great-- and unless someone has a laser beam set on your booty, no one's ever going to know you are a millimeter off on print matching!

    i agree, sewalongs/themes are such a great way to snap out of a slump or indecision...i remember sew weekly was great (and also insane) for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Oona! I though you might wear these! I was actually working on an EVEN COOLER full outfit... but my work-sewing got in the way. I think I'll still finish it and pretend it's still Oonapalooza! You're going to love it!

      Delete
  5. I just finished a muslin of these shorts. It took me several tries to get the fly right. But it is such a small area...no biggy. I do love the way these shorts fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty awesome how great the fit is on these! I also bought their men's under-thing pattern... we'll see if that one sews up as well as the shorts!

      Delete