Sunday, January 12, 2014

top 5 of 2013 - part 4: inspirations

Top 5 of 2013 - An Annual Blog Series

1.) Sewing Bloggers

Before starting this sewing blog in the dawn for 2013, I had been discovering and reading sewing blogs from all over the world. They were what inspired me to start this blog about my sewing adventures. Since then I've discovered even more fabulous bloggers, and even gotten to correspond with some through blog comments! Could even image my excitement the first time I had an established sewing blogger comment on MY blog?!?! That means she READ MY BLOG!

I'm especially inspired by bloggers who demonstrate amazing construction, fitting and tailoring techniques, like Diary of a Sewing Fanatic, Sew Me Loveand Male Pattern Boldness. I aspire one day to have that level of skill and sewing patience.  I also love see bloggers who are so confident in their personal style, like Tilly and the Buttons, Oonaballona, and Scruffy Badger Time. 2013 has been for me not only about developing as a sewist, but also developing my personal style. 

This is only a handful of the bloggers who've inspired me this year, and that list is growing all the time!

2.) Readers 

That's YOU! In 2013 I went from 0 to 7966 page views! HOW COOL IS THAT!?!? Every time I get a new comment, or 25 views on my latest post, I am more inspired to create and share. And I love seeing my little blogger map light up with readers from all different countries. It's so cool to be part of this bigger web for sewists from all over the world!

3.) My Mom (awwww....)

No really. She sewed all our clothes when we were little, even bathing suits! And she's the one who taught me to sew, and saved my butt every time I bit off a bigger project that I could chew.  This year I've realized just how much I still had to learn, and have strived to learn how to not only make clothes but really well constructed garments. It's made me realize exactly where my skill level is and how to chose project that are appropriate for it, as she's not always here to fill in those gaps. (Although I have taken a project to her, or called for an over-the-phone-how-to, and she gave me her sewing machine and old serger....) I think I've come pretty far and am totally gonna make her proud in 2014!

4.) My Sister (this is really getting mushy now!)

As I've mentioned before, she and I have the same measurements, only her's are on a 5'7" frame! That means when something doesn't fit me right... I know it'll look stunning on her. Looking ahead to 2014 I've got some pretty fabulous projects planned for her. She has a style and lifestyle very different than mine and it's really fun being able to sew for her things that wouldn't work for me. Add in my sister-in-law and I've got three totally different styles to inspire me and to play with, and that's pretty cool!

While this one fit me OK, can your guess who it looked killer on?
I'm so proud of this top I made from my sister-in-law.
5.) Me (bear with me for a minute because this isn't some narcissistic thing...)

There have been a lot of changes for me this past year, and some have been harder internally than others. Sewing you own clothing is a really beautiful form of self-love. (First of all, you have no choice but to come to terms with that fact that your waist measurement is in fact now that much bigger.) But seriously, why spend all that time on one garment unless you think you are worth it? And spending all this time and creativity in crafting your own style and how you present yourself to the world, sometimes that's therapy right there. There have been times this year I really needed that. And it's going to make me that much of a better person in  2014.




2 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely post! There's something so powerful about taking the time to acknowledge and be grateful for the way other people contribute to your own journey, isn't there. And I love what you said about sewing being an expression of self-love and acceptance - so very true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It surprised me as I was writing it, since I started us post without any real plan of it. Thank you

      Delete