Monday, June 2, 2014

pattern testing the ella top for liola patterns

I was super excited to have the opportunity to pattern test for and indie pattern company, especially since the Ella Top by Liola Patterns is exactly the kind of top I am looking for in my wardrobe! I couldn't describe it any better than she does:
image source: http://www.lioladesigns.com/2014/05/ella-top-pdf-sewing-pattern.html

I used that horrible-feeling-yet-beautiful synthetic fabric that I had used to test my silk maxidress pattern, but made the binding for the neck and arm opening from a light cotton/poly blend instead. I took advantage of the back yoke detail to play with the border print of my fabric. 






oops! bra hanging on the doorknob!

I think this top has a great shape, and was very easy to put together. My measurements fall in-between a medium and a large, and being so petite I opted for the medium and then made no pattern alterations. Even so, I think next time I will cut a small instead and make some other adjustments to shorten at the straps and the length overall, and possibly narrow the scoop neckline. It was just too big overall for my frame, so I gave it to sister. Looks great on her! And I'll have to make myself another. Maybe in crisp white cotton, or neon pink rayon, or blue with little flowers.... and how about buttons? So many possibilities! 

2 comments:

  1. Great top and fabric. Lucky sister! Hope this top is a keeper for you next make : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She gets all my good "almost fits" makes! :)

      Delete