Thursday, June 5, 2014

my take on the trends: neon and lace


No, you don't need to adjust your monitor... that's actually pretty close to the real color of this top! I've been thinking about trying the neon trend in a simple tank like this. I was leaning towards a vibrant pink, but having a hard time finding the right shade that would look good on me in a nice fabric. But then while checking out Anthropologie (for the first time!) in Philadelphia I saw a gorgeous silk tank in a super-bright, vibrant coral. Perfect! Oh, did I want to buy that tank! But I didn't, and later in the trip exploring Fabric Row (very cool!) my sister found the near identical color on a crowded shop shelf! For only $6/yard! And in a lovely, drapey rayon.... I love rayon. It's not exactly a neon, but super-bright! It's almost a red, and almost a coral, and almost like the most vibrant, dark watermelon you've ever seen... yum! And probably more flattering on me than a traditional neon would be.

This is another version of the Ella Tank I recently pattern tested for Liola Patterns. This time I cut a size small and shortened it about 1.5" at the waistline. I also decided to take advantage of the yoke design feature to play with another trend: lace! Lace on neon coral? Ummm... yes!



I always have a hard time with this style of finishing the arm and neck openings; making a bias strip that is turned under and sewn to conceal the raw edge, almost like a very thin facing. I can never get it to lay flat when worn, or end up pressing little wrinkles along the neckline to make it lie flat (any tips would be totally appreciated!). I wish I had bound it similar to my fishy tank or Lemon Drop Top where the bias binding is exposed on both sides, like you would bind a quilt. It would be especially nice with this lovely, light rayon! I also made a few wrinkles on one section of my narrow hem:


When altering the pattern I did not take any length out above the bust or from the straps, and decided that a low neckline would be ok with this kind of drapey, summer top. But, once constructed I discovered that the bust points were also way too low. How did I not notice that the last time I made it? So I had to take up the straps after I'd already bound the neck and arm openings, tacking them down so it doesn't show too bad:


So now the side seam doesn't hang straight, but oh well. Still a very cool, comfortable almost-perfect summer top. I'll make sure to lower the straps and arm opening evenly on both the front and back pattern pieces before I cut out my fabric next time I make this top. Then the fit should be just perfect!

2 comments:

  1. I find sometimes the 'easiest' shapes are the hardest! Maybe it's because the fit is more noticeable. I like a bias neckline on wovens that you stretch on like a knit then stitch in the ditch (.not sure if this is what you did), it seems to lie flat, but I know what you mean about the little puckers on armholes and hem. I see them even in rtw. Anyway I love your bright colours. They will be great for a hot sunny day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often find myself thinking when a sewing project doesn't come out just right, "but you would see his often in RTW." I guess I aim to make better than RTW. I actually tried on a RTW striped dress the other day where just ONE panel was cut off grain... Looked totally stupid!

      Delete