Friday, April 25, 2014

steppin' out in my cambie dress

While still not feeling great, I felt well enough to dig out some cute pick flats, throw my hair up (literally), and take a few photos of my Cambie dress outside on my deck. As you can see, the trees are still just brown sticks up here, but at least the temperatures have been in the 50's during the day! Even 60's a couple days!



See? The fit is not so bad! There is just the right amount of ease to be comfortable, yet still fits close to the body.  As I mentioned in my previous post, I shortened the bodice at the waistband, shoulder seam, and then another inch when attaching the front of the sleeve to the bodice after everything else was constructed.  I think the waist sits at just the right spot, as does the shoulder seam, but the bodice comes up pretty high under my armpit. Not unwearably high, but it would be more comfortable a little lower, and probably wear better without that friction and deodorant rubbing it. So next time around I will either just cut the arm opening a little bit lower, or shorten the bodice some just above the bustline. Then I may not need to take any in when attaching the sleeves to the front.

I also noticed some wrinkles on the back, running from the center zip down to the sides. Could this also be corrected by shortening the back bodice? Or is it a result of the fabric sitting too high in the armpit? I'd love your thoughts on how to best correct these fit issues for the next version.... which I think needs to have a big circle skirt! I think with just a few adjustments, I might actually have a PERFECT fitting dress!

4 comments:

  1. I'd say it's pretty close to perfection! I'm sorry to say I am not sufficiently experienced to advise on fit issues, but I would be very proud to wear such a pretty handmade dress this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very very close, and also surprisingly comfortable for such a fitted, woven bodice! 'm going to try to make a few more for summer, and maybe a special one for our second wedding anniversary in August. I found some white, lightweight cotton with purple lisianthus flowers... our wedding flowers!

      Delete
  2. Your dress came out beautifully and I seriously doubt that anyone will notice those wrinkles in the back. But I do have two guesses as to where they could have come from. I think it's most likely that the fabric stretched the tiniest bit when you were setting the zipper. This has been a problem for me in the past and I've found that fusing a 1.5 inche wide strip of fusible interfacing to the fabric where you're going to set the zipper fixes this problem. It could also be that your shoulders are more sloped than the pattern, so the shoulder seam and armscye placement could be off. But it really looks like it's the zip. I wouldn't worry about fixing it here though.This dress came out really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think about the zipper, but I've always seen other interface theirs. I've never interfaced mine, but that a really good idea now that I think about it. Thanks!!!

      Delete