You thought you weren't going to hear from me again until after Christmas.... but... SURPRISE! Actually, I thought the same thing, until I saw these Christmas PJs from Did you make that?. I immediately decided that I, too, needed a pair, promptly ordered the Alexander Henry fabric, and this evening, in about 3 hours start to finish, I made myself another Christmas present to me!
I've been itching to try the Tofino Pants pattern by Sewaholic, but with a print like this a simpler pattern was needed, something that wouldn't break up the print. I decided to go with Simplicity 2258. I had made the skirt from this pattern before and loved it, so this time I chose view D, the capri option, lengthening it to pants by tracing some RTW pajama pants.
I love the pockets on this pattern. It goes together very easily, too. I spent longer cutting out the pieces than I did sewing! With any large-scale print (and especially this particular print!) you'll need to make sure your pattern pieces are cut to avoid awkward print placement. I also wanted to make sure I had an even distribution of the dudes on my PJs. I ended up cutting each piece out in a single layer, so I could select how the print would look on each individual pattern piece. I was so tickled with myself, I even cut it so I have one of the guys peeking out of my pocket!
...that is until I tried them on. The waist band was too high, hitting at a spot not only unflattering but uncomfortable! I sadly had to trim the rise on the waist down another 1.5", re-cut my waistband, and cut off the head of my pocket dude.
Oh well! I'm still very smitten with them. I added a little satin bow to the front, just for a feminine touch, and I took a risk attempting to match the print over the center seams... look how well the back came out!
|That tree ended up matching perfectly at the back center seam!|
|I didn't even notice until Mr. Sew Rachel pointed it out.... the print matches up when I'm standing|
Instead of a 1" or 1.25" elastic waistband, this pattern divides the waistband into three casings, the top and bottom for .25" elastic and the middle for a drawstring. Very cool design! I improvised the drawstring out of white, single fold bias tape that I folded in half and top-stitched with cranberry thread. A simple knot finishes each end, and you have a good-looking, study drawstring. I'm also pleased with the double line of top-stitching on the pockets. I think these came out pretty polished!
I constructed both pants on my regular sewing machine (using a slight zig-zag stitch for the jersey pair), after each seam finishing the raw edges on the serger for a polished look. I particularly love my serger when it comes to hems! All I do is go over the raw edge on the serger, then fold over and stitch once on the machine. Viola! Two new Christmas PJ bottoms!